Alternative Places of Worship Nearby
Marlborough Road, Methodist Church
Minister: Rev Rob Anning
Address: Marlborough Road Methodist Church, Banbury, OX16 5BZ
Tel: 01295 262602 Email Robert Anning
Methodist Chapel at Cropredy
The Methodist Chapel was built in 1881 following the Wesley revival and remains a focal point of Village affairs.
Prior to 1881 services were held in the adjacent property (formerly the Post Office). Enthusiastic Methodists raised the money to build the spacious and attractive edifice we now see. The present Membership includes a Sunday Club for young people. There is a strong bond of unity between Church and Chapel worshippers. The adjacent Chapel Schoolroom provides excellent facilities for meetings and similar functions and is used on a regular basis by the Historical Society.
St John’s is open daily from about 7.00 am to 7.00 pm, not only for the Liturgies of the Church, but for private prayer and meditation. It is a haven of peace in our busy world and life.
St John’s Church is situated in a prominent position in South Bar Street. Its tower, floodlit at night, is a landmark that can be seen even from the M40. It was St. Birinus who originally brought the faith to Oxfordshire, but the modern history of St John’s Parish begins with the mission being established in Banbury in 1828 by the French émigré priest, Fr. Pierre Hersent. The Church Sanctuary, the Presbytery and the Old School (now The Dupuis Centre) were designed by A.W. Pugin.
St John’s was built in 1838 and consecrated in 1938. Some details of the history of the Parish are included in a booklet ‘A Heritage Preserved’, published in 1978 to mark the 150thanniversary. This booklet is available from the Parish Office. The list of Missionary Rectors (from 1828 – 1929) and Parish Priests is on a board at the back of the Church.
Fr. Mervyn has been Parish Priest of St John’s since May 2004. He was ordained in 1978 and his previous appointments as a priest have been at Holy Family, Small Heath, Birmingham (1981-1983), as a full time lecturer at St Mary’s College, Oscott (1983-1996) and at St Thomas More’s in Kidlington (1996-2004).
He was installed as a Canon of the Metropolitan Chapter on 3rd February 2009 and is the Advisor to the Archbishop of Birmingham on Jewish affairs.
St. Francis serves Kineton and many surrounding villages including Wellesbourne.
Come and join us for coffee and a chat – after the 10 am mass every Sunday.
Deacon – Rev. Mr. Ralph Watkins – 01789 841883
Normal Masses Times
Saturday – 5pm – St. Peter’s Church, Wellesbourne
Sunday – 10am – Kineton
Sunday – 11:30am – St. Joseph’s, Avon Dassett
Saturday – 10:30 to 11:00am – Kineton (and at call)
Sunrising Burial Ground – http://sunrisingburialground.co.uk/burialground/
About Sun Rising
Sun Rising Natural Burial Ground and Nature Reserve is part of the growing movement towards natural, woodland and green burial grounds around Britain.
As a natural burial ground, however, Sun Rising is very special: we are not just burying in woodland, or preserving grazing land; we are creating a nature reserve. It takes time, developing not just through sensitive planting and careful management, but with each and every person who is buried there.
Our aim is to establish a haven of natural beauty and serenity that allows us the peace to grieve and heal, yet also where the natural landscape is nurtured, creating an ecologically-rich and wholly protected environment for native trees, plants and wildlife to thrive.